The Kilmodan Sculptured Stones comprise nine late-medieval West Highland grave-slabs and one post-Reformation grave-slab (dated 1636).
The 11th stone was once believed to be the weathered head of the medieval Cross of Garvie, but is now thought to be a natural stone pillar worn to its present shape by use as a tethering post for animals!
The stones come from the graveyard surrounding St Modan’s Church, in the village of Clachan of Glendaruel. In 1970 they were placed, for their better protection and display, in a late 18th-century burial aisle, which was probably built for the Campbells of Auchenbreck.
Products of the Loch Awe ‘school’
The nine late-medieval grave-slabs, though worn, are decorated with carvings. These include beasts, swords, a deer hunt, a unicorn, and craftsmen’s tools such as blacksmith’s tongs. There are also effigies of two armed warriors, a cleric depicted in prayer, and a lady holding a rosary.
All but one of these slabs are thought to be products of the Loch Awe ‘school’ of stone carvers, whose output was confined to Mid-Argyll, Lorn and Cowal. The largest single collection of the Loch Awe ‘school’ can be found at Kilmartin Church
- The setting – in a peaceful churchyard with the hills of Glendaruel forming an idyllic backdrop.
Region – Central and West
At Clachan of Glendaruel, 8m north of Colintraive off the A886.
Grid reference - NR 995 862.