A family homeMacLellan’s Castle is named after Sir Thomas MacLellan of Bombie (d. 1597). Sir Thomas was provost of Kirkcudbright and a powerful man in local politics. Following the Protestant Reformation in 1560, he acquired the site and buildings of the convent of Greyfriars, established in the town by James II in 1449, and set about building himself a new residence in its place. By 1582, MacLellan’s Castle was sufficiently complete for him to move in. Five years later, he and his second wife, Grissel, entertained their sovereign, James VI, in this spacious house.
An impressive town houseThe design of MacLellan’s Castle was part of a deliberate and self-conscious change in tower-house building in Jacobean Scotland. Gone was the obsession with security that had dominated the rather dour towers of previous centuries (eg, Threave, Orchardton and Cardoness). In their place arose residences more notable for domestic comfort and conspicuous displays of wealth.
The Three Estates Costume Exhibition
Ring of Brodgar Guided Walk
Ring Of Brodgar Stone Circle and Henge
Katy Dove Exhibition
Swords of the Righteous
Fortress for the King