The browser you are using is out of date and is no longer supported. To view and use this site correctly, please update your browser to the latest version.

New lease of life for Innerleithen Parish Church

31 March 2010

Innerleithen’s Parish Church  is to get a new lease of life thanks to a £125,000 grant from Historic Scotland.

Originally designed by Thomas Pilkington in 1865, the existing church replaced an earlier parish church. It was comprehensively re-constructed in 1887 by James Macintyre Henry who reused many of the Pilkington details.

In it’s development as a two phase building, it demonstrates a skilful remodelling in response to the demands of a growing congregation and sympathetically combines the work of both architects with striking stonework detailing.

The works receiving grant aid will repair the roof, gables and rainwater goods to prevent water damage.

It is one of nine churches to share more than £1m from Historic Scotland and the Heritage Lottery Fund through their repair grants for Places of Worship scheme.

Fiona Hyslop, Minister for Culture and External Affairs, said: “These grants are important for preserving buildings that are landmarks in their area that will have real benefits for their communities. They maintain a vital link to the past and are often key to telling the story of how a community has grown and been shaped. By investing in them and making them wind and water-tight we are ensuring that these buildings continue to have a role in people’s lives and supporting the many people across the country who devote their time to keeping their churches in working order.”

Colin McLean, added: “Our churches are fundamental to the community. They provide a place for worship and a venue for all sorts of today’s activities for young and old alike. Yet they have one foot placed firmly in the past; their architecture telling the story of the times, their records telling the story of a community. The Heritage Lottery Fund is pleased to be able to help secure the future of these fine buildings.

As well as the places of worship grants Historic Scotland has produced a CDRom filled with technical information and guidance about the traditional skills often required to repair historic church buildings.

The guide has been produced in partnership with Church of Scotland, the Bishops’ Conference of Scotland and the Scottish Episcopal Church which is also providing a website www.maintainyourchurch.org that also offers guidance on various issues related to keeping churches in good condition.


Notes to editors:

  • Historic Scotland is the agency of the Scottish Government responsible for preserving and promoting the historic environment. To register for news releases visit www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/news

  • Using money raised through the National Lottery, the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) sustains and transforms a wide range of heritage for present and future generations to take part in, learn from and enjoy. From museums, parks and historic places to archaeology, natural environment and cultural traditions, we invest in every part of our diverse heritage.   To date it has invested over £500million in Scotland’s heritage.

  • Other churches receiving aid are:
    • •St Mary’s (of the Assumption) Pro-Cathedral, HLF £93,400. HS £93,400
    • •Renfrew Old Parish Church, HLF £110,000. HS £150,000
    • •Dunlop Parish Church, HS £250,000
    • •St Fillans Episcopal Church, HLF £70,300
    • •St Angnes, Lambhill, HLF £125,000
    • •Jamestown Parish Church, HLF £58,100
    • •St Peter’s Episcopal Church, Peebles, HLF £94,400

Further Information
Heritage Lottery Fund
Shiona Mackay 01786 870638/ 07779 142890
Jon Williams on 020 7591 6035  
www.hlf.org.uk


For further information


Lesley Brown
Communications and Media Officer
Communications and Media
0131 668 8603 or 07920 768100
lesley.brown@scotland.gsi.gov.uk