The browser you are using is out of date and is no longer supported. To view and use this site correctly, please update your browser to the latest version.

Trinity House paintings go back on show

25 March 2009

Two unusual paintings are back on display at Trinity House maritime museum in Leith after essential conservation work.

One, dating from around 1885 and by an unknown artist, shows a Glasgow ship called the Loch Broom in full sail.

The vessel was still in service as late as 1917, by which time it was in Scandinavian hands and renamed the Songdal, when it was sunk by a German submarine.

The other painting, which dates from 1891, is by Bernard Benedict Hemy (1855-1913) and shows a steam tug towing a sailing ship.

Hemy’s family had emigrated to Australia in 1852, but he returned and settled in the north of England.

Historic Scotland conservators Damiana Magris and Ailsa Murray carried out the work, which included cleaning and stabilisation of the oil paint.

Ailsa said: “This is a lovely project to work on. The paintings at Trinity House give a real insight into the history of Leith and its role as a great sea port.

“But it’s also fascinating to find out more about the stories behind the paintings – the artists who created them and even what happened to the ships themselves.”

The operation is part of a long-term project to conserve around 175 paintings which were transferred to the care of HS by the Incorporation of Mariners and Ship’s Masters in 2005.

Hugh Morrison, Historic Scotland collections registrar, said: “Trinity House is a wonderful place and has a nationally important collection of maritime paintings and artefacts.

“Since the collection came into our ownership we have carefully catalogued what is there and assessed its condition so we can make sure that it is all properly conserved and protected for the future.

“The job of conserving the paintings will take many years, so we have started with those most in need of attention, and our experts are gradually working their way through them.

“The two pictures which have just gone back on display mark a remarkable point in history – the very end of the age of sail.

“In fact, it comes as quite a surprise to a lot of people that wooden ships like the Songdal would have been operating in an era when the oceans were being stalked by submarines.”

The incorporation, which was founded in 1380, had the mansion in Kirkgate built in 1816 and many of the paintings it contains were commissioned or donated by members.

Historic Scotland’s Collections Unit spent two years carrying out a complete condition check and fully documenting the collection before starting work on the items in most urgent need of attention.

Four paintings have been completed so far.

Notes for Editors

  • The Trinity House collection includes four paintings by Sir Henry Raeburn. Most notable is a portrait of Admiral Duncan, who led the British fleet to victory against the Dutch at the Battle of Camperdown in 1797. This critical engagement in the Napoleonic wars made the admiral a national hero. Trinity House awarded him the Freedom of the Incorporation and commissioned Raeburn to paint his portrait for the walls of their headquarters.

  • Each painting in the collection was either commissioned for Trinity House or donated by relatives of former members. Some have been hanging in the same spot since the current Trinity House building was completed in 1816.

  • The incorporation once provided pensions for large numbers of mariners who paid into a fund throughout their working lives and it also looked after the lights in the Firth of Forth and licensed the pilots who guided shipping into its ports.

  • Trinity House is at 99, Kirkgate, Leith. All visits must be pre-booked and parties are of a maximum of 15 people. Admission is £4.20 for adults, £3.20 concessions and £2.10 children. Telephone 0131 5543289.

  • Historic Scotland is delighted to be supporting the 2009 Year of Homecoming with a series of initiatives including family trails, spectacular events and the creation of a Homecoming Pass for heritage attractions in association with other heritage organisations.


For further information


Rebecca Hamilton
Marketing and Media Manager
Marketing and Media
0131 668 8685 / 07788 923871
rebecca.hamilton@scotland.gsi.gov.uk