The browser you are using is out of date and is no longer supported. To view and use this site correctly, please update your browser to the latest version.

St Andrew's Cathedral gets funding boost

16 March 2009

Culture Minister Michael Russell today announced that St Andrew’s Cathedral in Glasgow will be awarded £500,000 to repair the historic building and improve access.

The Minister said: “St Andrew’s Cathedral is a culturally, socially and architecturally important building and this funding from Historic Scotland will ensure that careful repairs are carried out to the highest standard, celebrating the original design. The programme of works planned will improve access for people with disabilities and open up more space for the congregation and community as well as visiting tourists and school groups.”

St Andrew’s Metropolitan Cathedral was designed by James Gillespie Graham in 1814-17 as a Roman Catholic Chapel – the first to be built in Glasgow following the Reformation. It was raised to the status of Cathedral in 1878.

The Archdiocese of Glasgow will use the funding for a range of conservation work as well as providing a visitor space and provide more information about the significance of the A-listed building.

Archbishop Mario Conti, Archbishop of Glasgow, said: "We are very grateful for this contribution towards the very necessary repair and redevelopment work which is scheduled for the Cathedral.  It is a fine Category A listed building which is open to the public every day of the year and is a much-loved Glasgow landmark."


The Cathedral is one of three projects supported in Historic Scotland’s latest round of Building Repair Grants. Braemar Castle will receive £194,730 for repairs to the roof and turrets while £500,000 will go to the King’s Theatre in Edinburgh.

The Minister added: “Some people believe that we should invest in the historic buildings we have inherited simply because they are excellent examples of Scottish architecture, craftsmanship and ingenuity. It is important that we acknowledge these things, but I believe it is also crucial to recognise the need for these buildings within their communities. They are important because people continue to identify with, use and benefit from them.”

Historic Scotland has invested more than £150 million in protecting the nation’s architectural heritage in the last 15 years.

Notes for editors

  • Information and additional quotes on the other projects are available from Lesley Brown.

  • A total of £1,194,730 has been awarded in this round of funding.

  • The criteria used for assessing grant applications include the social, educational and economic benefit the project would bring to the community and the urgency of the repairs.

  • These grant offers are conditional on the necessary permissions being granted and all agreed delivery conditions being met.

  • Historic Scotland is an executive agency of the Scottish Government charged with safeguarding the nation’s historic environment. The agency is fully accountable to Scottish Ministers and through them to the Scottish Parliament. For more information visit www.historic-scotland.gov.uk.

  • Historic Scotland is delighted to be supporting the 2009 Year of Homecoming with a series of initiatives including family trails, spectacular events and the creation of a Homecoming Pass for heritage attractions in association with other heritage organisations



Contact: Ronnie Convery, Archdiocese of Glasgow
Direct Line: 0141 226 5898
e-mail: ronnie.convery@rcag.org.uk


For further information


Lesley Brown
Communications and Media Officer
Communications and Media
0131 668 8603 or 07788 923873
lesley.brown@scotland.gsi.gov.uk