The browser you are using is out of date and is no longer supported. To view and use this site correctly, please update your browser to the latest version.

We're changing

We have created a new public body, Historic Environment Scotland. While we work on shaping our future we can reassure you that all services and products will continue as normal. Please follow our progress and find out more about our new organisation.

Mons Meg wheel gets a flat

2 November 2009

The damaged wheel of Mons Meg being removed for repair.


In centuries past the vast Mons Meg siege cannon was hauled across Scotland to demolish the castle walls of the king’s enemies.

But even though its wheels were entirely made of wood and iron it seems it could suffer the medieval equivalent of a flat tyre.

While it has been stood quietly on the ramparts of Edinburgh Castle for some years without moving, the sheer pressure of the six-ton barrel and the two-ton carriage has distorted the metal band round one of the wheels.

Historic Scotland conservation and maintenance experts today used two mini cranes to lift the barrel in order to carry out a programme of checks on the condition of the great gun.

Hugh Morrison, Historic Scotland collections registrar, said: “This was the supergun of its era and it’s one of a kind, so we take very good care of her with regular checks and maintenance.

“As she is so large we are having to set up special lifting gear to hoist her off the carriage.

“But once that’s done we’ll be able to check her over any carry out any conservation work that’s needed, and put on some new protective paint as required.

“One job that has to be done is to knock a metal rim on one of the wheels back into shape as it has bent out of shape from the enormous weight of the gun.”

The work is expected to take a week to 10 days to complete.

Mons Meg was originally made in 1449 and presented to James II in 1457, at which time she was the latest in military technology, and fired gunstones weighing 330lbs or 150kg. When fired in 1558, to celebrate the marriage of Mary, Queen of Scots to the French dauphin, Francois, the gunstone reached Wardie Muir, nearly two miles away.

The gun was last fired in October 1681 in a birthday salute for the Duke of Albany (later James VII) but her barrel burst.

Notes for editors

  • Historic Scotland has 345 historic properties and sites in its care. These include some of the leading tourism attractions in the country, including Edinburgh, Stirling, and Urquhart Castles, Fort George, Linlithgow Palace, the Border Abbeys, and Skara Brae. For further details visit:

  • Historic Scotland’s Mission is to safeguard Scotland’s historic environment and to promote its understanding and enjoyment.

  • Historic Scotland is delighted to be supporting the 2009 Year of Homecoming with a series of initiatives including family trails, spectacular events and the creation of a Homecoming Pass for heritage attractions in association with other heritage organisations.

For further information

Rebecca Hamilton
Marketing and Media Manager
Marketing and Media
0131 668 8685 / 07788 923871