The browser you are using is out of date and is no longer supported. To view and use this site correctly, please update your browser to the latest version.

The resurvey of Wandel and Lamington Parish

9 September 2009

Historic Scotland is to visit the Wandel and Lamington Parish to identify the area’s important buildings and to review the existing listings in the parish.

This will ensure that these areas have the appropriate statutory protection, and all information is current and up to date; the parish has not been comprehensively resurveyed since 1971.

Historic Scotland is reviewing the historic and picturesque village of Lamington in order to identify the buildings that meet the criteria for listing, whilst reassessing and updating any existing listings to provide more comprehensive and accurate descriptions.

Dr Deborah Mays, Head of Listing, said: “Lamington is a richly historic rural parish with a choice selection of fine historic buildings. The village on the banks of the River Clyde is a true model of Victorian estate provision. Among the interesting buildings currently listed are the early Parish Church of 1721, its Manse and the gothic style Trinity Chapel.”

Buildings are listed at one of three categories –  A, B and C(s) – reflecting their level of importance. Once listed, alterations that affect the character of the building require listed building consent before work can begin.

When the team have identified buildings of interest they will contact the local authority and, where possible, the owner.

A building must have special architectural or historic interest to be considered for listing and Historic Scotland would welcome information from members of the public.

For more information on the resurvey contact the listing officer on 0131 668 8908/ 8701.

Following consultation with South Lanarkshire Council, Historic Scotland will then make a recommendation to Scottish Ministers to include a building on the list if it meets the criteria.

Notes to editors

Listed buildings are divided into three categories:
  • A – Buildings of national or international importance – either architectural or historic – or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or type.
  • B – Buildings of regional or more than local importance, major examples of a particular period, style or type that may have been altered.
  • C(S) – Buildings of local importance, lesser examples of any period, style or type as originally constructed or altered. Simple traditional buildings that group well with others in categories A and B are part of a planned group as an estate or an estate or an industrial complex.

All buildings erected before 1840, the character of which remains substantially intact, are likely to be included in the list. Later buildings are selected on the basis of their individual character and quality. Special regard is paid to:
  • planned streets, villages or burghs
  • works of well known architects
  • buildings clearly associated with famous people or events
  • major examples of buildings connected with social and industrial history and the development of communications
  • distinctive regional variations in design and use of materials
  • good examples within individual building types; and
  • technological innovation.

Historic Scotland is an executive agency of the Scottish Government charged with safeguarding the nation’s built heritage.  It is fully accountable to Scottish Ministers and through them to the Scottish Parliament.

For further information


Lesley Brown
Communications and Media Officer
Communications and Media
0131 668 8603 or 07788 923873
lesley.brown@scotland.gsi.gov.uk