Could it be magic?
14 September 2007
Wand-ering what to do with the children next weekend? Need something to keep them spellbound and out of mischief? Well, you can be sure Historic Scotland has a trick (or two) up its sleeve to keep them amused! On 22 and 23 September 2007, Stirling Castle will mystically transform into a mecca of magical mayhem as magicians from all over the world gather to perform some truly spectacular sorcery. With 25 performances over the course of the weekend from noon - 4.00pm each day, the Castle of Magic: The Sorcerer’s Return event looks set to be bigger and better than ever.
Among the acts will be the world renowned magician, Ali Bongo, famous for devising some of the most amazing magical events seen on British television. His work as a magic advisor is said to have inspired the character of Jonathan Creek. Other performers include Patrick Page, Scotland’s own grand master of magic; ‘Magician of the Year’ and Court Magician to the Norwegian Royal Family, Kristine Hjulstad; star of Channel 4’s Faking It, Kevin McMahon; and the magician who once levitated President George Bush, Scott Wells. Other fun on the day will involve interactive balloon twisting workshops where visitors can learn how to magically transform balloons into animals and flowers and also some fantastical face painting. One extra performer still to be announced will be the winner of the special magician’s apprentice competition which Historic Scotland has been running in the weeks leading up to the event.
Nick Finnigan, Events and Filming Manager at Historic Scotland said: “After a successful first year, the Castle of Magic returns, and this year promises to be bigger than ever with prolific magicians from all over the world descending on Stirling Castle to surprise and delight all ages.”
Visitors must prepare to leave all concepts of reality at the door, and instead allow themselves to be swept into a world of illusion and fantasy. We certainly have got a fair few tricks up our sleeves!
Castle of Magic: The Sorcerers’ Return is on Saturday 22 and Sunday 23 September from 12 noon – 4.00pm each day. Normal Stirling Castle admission rates apply. For more information, please visit www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/events or call 0131 668 8926.
Notes for editors
Stirling Castle is at the head of Stirling’s historic old town off the M9. Admission is £8.50 for adults, £6.50 concessions and £4.25 for children. Entry to Argyll’s Lodging is also included.
Artistes and Entertainers
· Ali Bongo (UK/India) – Master Magician, World Famous British Comedy Magician as seen on Television.
· Patrick Page (Scotland) – Master Magician celebrating over fifty years performing, writing & producing magical entertainment.
· Scott Wells (USA)– Comedy Magician with Tex appeal from the USA
· Kramus Nexifius (Middle Earth) – 2500 year old Magical Wizard, wizardry and wonder for all ages
· Kristine (Norway) – “Magician of the Year” Kristine from Norway presents Theatrical Magic. Court Magician to the Norwegian Royal Family
· Dr Anthony Darkstone (Portugal) – Magic and Mystery of the mind.
· Shirley Ray (UK) – Award winning Balloon Modeller and Magician, Balloon Magic Show and Balloon workshop
· Kevin McMahon (Scotland) - Star of ‘Channel 4’s Faking it’ – stand up comedy and modern, mind-blowing magic.
· Professor Hilarius Kautz (Germany) – Join the professor and learn some magic at our very own Magic School.
· Alissa Aladino (Germany) – Professional Children’s Magician from Germany
· Maggi Clownin (Germany) – All the way from Cologne Maggi the Magical Clown
· David Lees (Scotland) – First class Children’s Magician and Balloon Modeller.
· Mick Magic (Scotland) – Fun and laughter for all the family – Simply Entertaining! Also starring Trix the Magic Bunny!
· Alex Proctor (Scotland) – Scotlands Foremost Magical Entertainer – watch and be amazed.
· Alex the Magician (Scotland) - Entertains, involves and astounds children of all ages
· Michael McMillan (Scotland) - Award Winning close up magic – Entertainment guaranteed
· Smudges the Face Painter – Hilary Smith (Scotland) – Traditional Face Painting for all ages
· Fantasy Faces – Doris Kautz (Germany) – Fantasy Designs that are out of this world
· Balloon Twisting – Helmut Kautz (Germany) – Crazy Balloon Modelling from Germany.
Realm of Enchantment/Queen Anne Gardens (Children’s Magic, Balloons, Magic Workshop and Fantasy faces)
12:00 Mick Magic
12:30 Alissa Aladino
13:00 Professor Hilarius Kautz – Magic Workshop
14:00 Alex the Magician
14:30 Maggi Clownin
15:00 Professor Hilarius Kautz – Magic Workshop
15:40 David Lees
12:00 – 16:00 Face Painting – Smudges and Fantasy Faces
12:00 – 12:30 ,14:00 – 14:30 Balloon Twisting - Helmut Kautz
Great Hall of Magic/The Great Hall (Comedy, Balloon Magic and Wizardry- Fun for all the Family)
Host & Compere: Scott Wells
12:00 Kevin Mcmahon
12:45 Shirley Ray
13:30 Ali Bongo
14:15 Kramus Nexifius
15:00 Ali Bongo
15:45 Kevin Mcmahon
Gallery of Wonder/The Royal Chapel (Conjuring, Mysteries of the Mind and Theatrical Magic)
Host and Compere: Patrick Page
12:15 Alex Proctor
13:00 Dr Anthony Darkstone
14:30 Dr Anthony Darkstone
15:45 Patrick Page
Balloon Magical/Royal Apartments (Balloon Twisting Workshop)
13:30 – 14:10 Shirley Ray
15:30 - 16:10 Shirley Ray
The Gatehouse of Mystery/entrance to Castle
12:00 – 13:30 Balloon Twisting and Magic by David Lees
12:00 – 13:30 Close-up Magic – Michael McMillan
13:45 – 15:15 Balloon Twisting and Magic by David Lees
14:40 – 16:00 Close-up Magic – Alex Proctor
13:00- 14:00 , 14:45 – 16:00 Kramus Nexifius
The Magic Square
14:30 – 15:00 Balloon Twisting Shirley Ray
12:00 – 16:00 Strolling Magic Michael McMillan, Kevin McMahon, Tony Brook, Ali Bongo , Kramus Nexifius
Historic Scotland has 345 outstanding historic properties and sites in its care. These include some of the leading tourism attractions in the country, including Edinburgh, Stirling, and Urquhart Castles, Fort George, Linlithgow Palace, the Border Abbeys, and Skara Brae. For further details visit: www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/properties.
Historic Scotland’s mission is to safeguard Scotland’s historic environment and to promote its understanding and enjoyment.