Lend A Hand At Linlithgow Peel
16 November 2007
Historic Scotland’s Ranger Service is inviting volunteers to come along this Sunday, 18 November 2007 and help out with its important work around the Peel, the Royal Park beside the magnificent Linlithgow Palace.
The volunteers, who must be 16 or over, will be getting involved in a range of tasks such path building, grassland work and hedge and tree planting.
Martin Gray, of Historic Scotland’s Ranger Service, explains: “We’re hoping that local people who use and enjoy the Peel will come to lend a hand and help us look after this great landscape. Becoming a volunteer is a chance for them to put something back into the Peel and get involved in the ongoing management of it.
“This is always a busy time of year for the Ranger Service; there’s a lot of work to be done around Linlithgow Peel and Loch to maintain the land. Jobs like cutting and clearing away long grass and dying vegetation are vital to encourage plant and wild flower growth and support the rich natural habitat here for wildlife like small mammals, birds and insects.”
The Volunteer Day on Sunday starts at 1pm and volunteers should wear outdoor clothing and suitable footwear. Booking is recommended; please call the Ranger Service on 01506 842065 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.Notes for editors
·The magnificent ruins of Linlithgow Palace - set in the Royal Park or Peel, beside Linlithgow Loch - are situated in Linlithgow, off the M9. Tel: 01506 842896. Admission: adult £5.00, child £2.50, concessions £4.00.
·Linlithgow Loch is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) due to its very large wildfowl population and abundance of wildlife.
·Linlithgow Palace is perhaps best known as the birthplace of Mary Queen of Scots in 1542 and her father, James V, who was born in 1512. All of the Stewart kings lived here, and numerous renovations to its grand facades and chambers were carried out as each monarch sought to create the ideal modern palace. A royal manor had been on the site of the Palace since the 12th century. It was transformed by the English into a modern secure stronghold around 1302 before returning to Scottish hands in 1314. A fire in 1424 destroyed the stronghold and burgh of Linlithgow and James I then started building the structure we have today. Under James IV, it developed into a courtyard palace, while James V and James VI made major contributions to what had become the finest palace of the Stewart kings.
·The Palace is one of 345 splendid properties and sites throughout the country – from prehistoric dwellings and stone circles, castles and palaces, to abbeys and cathedrals - in the care of Historic Scotland.