Former Botanic Gardens Garage
The Arnold Clark Garage on Vinicombe Street is an exceptionally early, little altered and rare surviving example of a public parking garage. Formerly known as the Botanic Gardens Garage, and dating from 1906, it is likely to be the earliest surviving example in Britain. Purpose-built public parking garages that predate the 1920s are extremely rare both nationally and internationally and this example has the additional interest of being 2-3 storeys high, making it one of the first multi-storey car parks to have been built in Europe.
In recognition of the building’s architectural and historical significance, it was upgraded from category B to category A in December 2007.
As a listed building, works planned by the owner to it to create residential, office, restaurant and retail space through development and partial demolition of the garage required listed building consent. On May 26, Historic Scotland informed Glasgow City Council that Scottish Ministers had taken the decision to call the case in for determination by them.
Written evidence will now be submitted to an independent reporter before Scottish Ministers reach a decision.
Glasgow City Council - 12 April 2010 [pdf, 76kb]Glasgow City Council - 26 May 2010 [pdf, 79kb]