The browser you are using is out of date and is no longer supported. To view and use this site correctly, please update your browser to the latest version.

We're changing

We have created a new public body, Historic Environment Scotland. While we work on shaping our future we can reassure you that all services and products will continue as normal. Please follow our progress and find out more about our new organisation.


Carved stone
Details of who to contact, local authority contacts and other useful organisations can be found in Carved Stones: Scottish Government Policy and Guidance.

For information about specific carved stones see RCAHMS or PASTMAP. For information about carved stones in general see Carved Stones Scotland. For generic advice on interpretation and presentation see Interpret Scotland.

How to get involved

There is much you can do to help, particularly in the recording of carved stones. You will probably be able to do this most effectively through membership of a national or local society.

Conservation of carved stones

If the conservation of particular carved stones interests you, or you want to report a problem, check first whether the stone is scheduled or listed (legally protected) by visiting PASTMAP.
  • If it is a scheduled monument, contact Historic Scotland by email to or ring 0131 668 8770.
  • For listed sites and conservation areas, contact the local authority conservation officer - visit ·the Institute of Historic Building Conservation (IHBC) (Note: not all local authorities are served by members of IHBC).
If a carving is neither scheduled nor listed then your first contact for conservation advice is either your local archaeological service, local authority conservation officer or local museum.

How to report new discoveries

Report new discoveries to Treasure Trove.


If you have comments on the carved stones website, please email Olwyn Owen or telephone 0131 668 8658.