The browser you are using is out of date and is no longer supported. To view and use this site correctly, please update your browser to the latest version.

Drumcoltran Tower

A well-preserved mid 16th century tower

Drumcoltran Tower

A Maxwell house
In 1550 the lordship of Kirkcunzeon – the parish in which Drumcoltran Tower lies – passed from the Herries family to the Maxwells of Caerlaverock. A cadet (minor branch) of the Maxwells built the present tower shortly afterwards.

It began as a rectangular tower, but a projecting wing was added by the end of the 1500s. It incorporated a new entrance and the spiral stair. A similar extension can also be seen at <Carsluith Castle>, near Creetown.

In 1668 the Inglis family acquired Drumcoltran, and a descendant built the present farmhouse and steading in the 1700s. Farm servants then inhabited the tower until it was abandoned in the late 1800s.

A Jacobean laird’s house
Drumcoltran is a typical fortified house built by a laird (minor landowner) in James VI’s reign (1567–1625). The relatively plain, L-plan tower consists of three storeys and a garret. Unusually, the corners are rounded, not angled.

At the top is a corbelled parapet. The stair tower rises a storey higher, has no parapet and terminates in a small turret chamber.

The ground floor is divided into a kitchen and storeroom. The first floor originally contained the laird’s hall, heated by a large fireplace. The room was subsequently divided, and a second fireplace added. Most of the window openings are enlargements of the 1700s.

Pious hopes
Above the front entrance is a stone heraldic panel. It lacks its owner’s coat-of-arms but still retains a message to those entering his house. The Latin translates as: ‘Keep hidden what is secret; speak little; be truthful; avoid wine; remember death; be merciful.’

Highlight
  • The view from the parapet walk – over the Kirkcudbrightshire countryside.

Facilities

Car Parking

Location

Region – Dumfries and Galloway

7m north east of Dalbeattie, among farm buildings off the A711.

Grid reference - NX 869 682.