Final part of Stirling Castle Palace mini-movie trilogy premieres on Youtube
16 June 2011
HISTORIC SCOTLAND TV PROMOTES OUR HERITAGE WORLDWIDE
Viewers in the UK and worldwide can now experience the majesty of the newly refurbished Renaissance royal palace at Stirling Castle in an internet movie.
The final instalment in a trilogy of mini-films has just been launched on the dedicated Stirling Castle and Historic Scotland YouTube internet TV channels, to promote the castle and the palace to the widest possible audience.
Entitled A Glimpse of Magnificence
the film highlights the sumptuous palace interiors, which have been returned to how they might have looked in the mid-16th century by some of the finest craftsmen and women from the UK and overseas.
It also features the team of performers, in magnificent costumes hand-made in silks, velvets and other fine fabrics, who show visitors round.
Linda Kong, Historic Scotland Digital Manager, said: “Our first two short films gave us a chance to open the palace to UK and overseas viewers and let them see the work that was taking place, while it was closed to the public.
“We timed the final instalment to come immediately after the reopening of the palace, so people who haven’t visited yet can glimpse its amazing interiors fully furnished and redecorated in grand Renaissance style.
“The film gives a real sense of the scale of the refurbishment project, the beauty of the apartments, and the atmosphere visitors can experience when they step back into the world of Scotland’s 16th-century royal family, their courtiers and servants.”
There has been tremendous international interest in the £12 million palace project and the films kept enthusiasts up to date with its progress.
Gillian Macdonald, Stirling Castle Executive Manager, said: “The films form part of Historic Scotland’s drive to showcase the country’s heritage all around the world. They raise awareness of all we have to offer and will hopefully encourage holidaymakers to pay us a visit.”
Other initiatives include the launch of our updated Stirling Castle website which has undergone a bold redesign to reflect the new visitor experience and includes more interactive and video content to immerse visitors in the Stewart dynasty.
Historic Scotland is broadcasting a TV advert to encourage visitors to come to Stirling Castle and see the palace – which opened during a weekend of celebratory events on 4 and 5 June. The advert can also be viewed on the YouTube channels.
Notes for editors:
- A full media pack about the palace project and the Stirling Heads is available online at www.stirlingcastle.gov.uk/mediapack.
- The new film can be seen at www.youtube.com/stirlingcastletv and www.youtube.com/historicscotlandtv
- The previous films have been viewed through a number of websites. The total number of viewings on Historic Scotland TV alone has so far reached more than 4,800 for the first film A Renaissance – King James V’s Palace at Stirling Reborn and nearly 3,400 for the second, An Artistic Alliance.
- All three films have been made in-house by Historic Scotland with the scripting, filming and editing by Mike Brooks.
- For all the latest on the palace project, and everything else that happening at Stirling Castle, visit our website at www.stirlingcastle.gov.uk and sign up for our free e-newsletter.
- Stirling Castle is at the top of Stirling Old Town off the M9 at junction 9 or 10. Call 01786 450000
- Historic Scotland has 345 historic properties and sites in its care. These include some of the leading tourism attractions in the country, including Edinburgh, Stirling, and Urquhart Castles, Fort George, Linlithgow Palace, the Border Abbeys, and Skara Brae. For further details visit: www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/places.
- Historic Scotland’s Mission is to safeguard Scotland’s historic environment and to promote its understanding and enjoyment.
- Historic Scotland around the web: www.twitter.com/welovehistory, www.facebook.com/visithistoricscotland, www.flickr.com/groups/stirlingcastleimages and www.flickr.com/groups/makeyourownhistory