Festive fun and music at Stirling Castle
3 December 2008
This year, why not celebrate Christmas in style by joining the festivities at one of Scotland’s best-loved castles?
The majestic surroundings of Stirling Castle provide a truly magnificent setting for a special festive event designed to delight all ages.
‘Christmas at the Castle’ - on Sunday 14th December from 12.30 to 3.30pm - promises an afternoon of family fun, packed with seasonal merriment, magic and music.
The superb yuletide entertainment in store includes a specially-commissioned festive comedy show, and a magical Father Christmas - who’ll be sharing some of the special tricks he has up his sleeves. The programme also features another children’s favourite, a puppet performance. And talented group ‘The Swingin’ Santas’ will be on hand to get everyone in the festive mood with some great live music.
Historic Scotland Events Manager Nick Finnigan said: “Stirling Castle is a superb venue for events at any time of the year, and Christmas is particularly special. There’s no better place to celebrate the magic of the festive season than at one of Scotland’s most spectacular strongholds, and our family fun event should help everyone experience the spirit of the season and enjoy a great Christmas.”
‘Christmas at the Castle’ is a free event, included in the normal price of admission to Stirling Castle. Ticket prices (including entry to Argyll’s Lodging) are: adult: £8.50; child £4.25; concession: £6.50; Historic Scotland members: free.
NOTES FOR EDITORS
- Stirling Castle is one of Scotland’s grandest castles due to its imposing position and impressive architecture, highlights of which include the gatehouse, the Great Hall, the splendid Renaissance Royal Palace and the Chapel Royal. A major refurbishment of the interior of the Royal Palace is currently underway; when completed, the apartments will be presented as they would have looked in their medieval heyday, complete with fine tapestries, furniture, and decorative ceilings.
- Stirling Castle is at the head of Stirling’s historic old town, off M9 junction 9 or 10. Tel: 01786 450000.
- Stirling Castle is one of 345 outstanding historic properties and sites throughout the country in the care of Historic Scotland. These include some of Scotland’s leading tourism attractions and most important heritage sites, including Edinburgh, Stirling and Urquhart Castles, Fort George, Linlithgow Palace, the Border Abbeys, and Skara Brae. For details visit: www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/places
- Historic Scotland’s Mission is: to safeguard Scotland’s historic environment and to promote its understanding and enjoyment.
- Historic Scotland is delighted to be supporting the 2009 Year Of Homecoming with a series of initiatives including family trails, spectacular events and the creation of a Homecoming Pass for heritage attractions in association with the other heritage organisations.