Commemorating the First World War
Visits to Historic Scotland sites provide opportunities for students to reflect on their Battlefield experiences and put them into context by exploring buildings and objects to discover real Scottish stories. Visit our dedicated website Commemorating the First World War
for more information.
BATTLEFIELD SCHOOL VISITS
As part of the Scottish Government’s five year commemorative programme, secondary schools in Scotland are eligible to apply for a subsidy to participate in Western Front battlefield tours, which spans six school years from 2013 from 2019. The subsidy will provide assistance to help meet the costs associated with the visit to support pupils to develop a deeper understanding of the causes and consequences of the First World War and its impact on people’s lives.
Who can apply?
Any Scottish secondary school can apply, however funding is limited and not guaranteed. Applications should meet the following criteria:
- The visit must be for a genuine educational purpose and booked in advance;
- Priority will be given to schools in areas with high indicators of multiple deprivation in accordance with the Scottish Government’s Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation;
- Priority will be given to schools who have not previously applied. Schools that submit subsequent applications will be held on a reserve list and an award may be made if funding is available. This is not guaranteed and funding may be provided at short notice should it become available,
- Applications for a subsidy should be made prior to the visit and all claims must be made within one month of the date of visiting.
Due to the large number of applications already received for the battlefield tour subsidy in 2014, schools are advised to consider making alternate arrangements for battlefield tour dates over the remaining period of the programme to avoid disappointment.
Where can I go?
Any WWI Western Front battlefield site.
When can I travel?
We would expect trips to take place during term time.
How much can I claim?
- A maximum of £2000 per visit will be allocated under the subsidy. A one-off payment will be made directly to the school. It is a matter for the school to decide how the funding is distributed.
- A further subsidy may be available for remote schools who incur additional transportation costs.
How do I apply?
- Make a booking by contacting the site/organisation you wish to visit
- Complete the Travel Subsidy form and return it either by email to email@example.com or by post to Historic Scotland Learning Services, Holyrood Park Education Centre, 1 Queens Drive, Edinburgh EH8 8HG or fax to 0131 652 8151
Download the WWI Battlefield school visits guidance [pdf, 41kb]
Download the WWI Battlefield school visits application [pdf, 50kb]
or version [234kb]
As part of the WWI Commemorative programme, schools are encouraged to share their learning experiences. School visit details will be shared with Education Scotland, to facilitate the exchange of experience about the visit and its legacy. This may include work undertaken in advance and evidence of how the learning is disseminated in the school and wider community.