Heritage Education - School Visits Travel Subsidy
What is the Travel Subsidy for?
The Scottish Government’s heritage education travel subsidy is offered to schools throughout Scotland to encourage visits to heritage sites of national importance in support of Curriculum for Excellence and outdoor learning.
It provides financial assistance with transport costs between the school and the chosen site for either teacher-led visits or for groups taking part in facilitated education programmes.
Who can apply?
Any Scottish school can apply; however funding is limited and not guaranteed. Applications should meet the following criteria:
- The visit must be for a genuine educational purpose and booked in advance
- Priority will be given to schools in areas with high indicators of multiple deprivation in accordance with the Scottish Government’s Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation.
- Applications for a subsidy should be made prior to the visit and all claims must be made within one month of the date of visiting
Where can I go?
- Any Historic Scotland site, staffed or unstaffed. A full list of sites across Scotland can be found on our places to visit page
- The National Trust for Scotland sites of Bannockburn, Culloden, Robert Burns Birthplace Museum and the David Livingstone Centre - www.nts.org.uk
- New Lanark World Heritage Site www.newlanark.org.uk
When can I travel?
The subsidy is available all year round for the sites listed above.
How much can I claim?
75% of transportation costs, up to a maximum of £250 will be covered.
How do I apply?
- Make a provisional booking by contacting the site/organisation you wish to visit
- Obtain a quote from your bus company for the travel costs
- Complete the Travel Subsidy Form and return it either by email to: email@example.com or by post to Historic Scotland Learning Services, Holyrood Park Education Centre, 1 Queen’s Park Drive, Edinburgh, EH8 8HG or fax to +44 (0)131 668 8935
Download the Travel Subsidy application form [pdf, 105kb]
or version [528kb]
How will I receive the subsidy?
After your visit, please send a copy of the bus company invoice to the above address or fax number. 75% of the total cost (up to a maximum of £250) will be reimbursed to the school within 30 days of receipt of the invoice.
Please note payments cannot be reimbursed until after your visit and upon receipt of a valid invoice.
If you have any queries please phone Historic Scotland Learning Services on +44 (0)131 652 8154 for further details.