Historic Scotland supports the protection and conservation of War Memorials across Scotland. We have made funding available specifically for War Memorials in Scotland through the War Memorials Trust, who have a proven track record in delivery of conservation projects.
The type of work we fund
Our grant scheme focuses on supporting the conservation and repair of freestanding war memorials in Scotland. It will support works that aim to repair and protect the memorial’s historic fabric and maintain its commemorative function without damaging the overall appearance and setting or altering the features that give each memorial its historic or architectural character. More specifically the types of work that can be funded include the following:
Conservation and repair of war memorials
- Urgent and necessary repairs to the fabric of the war memorial including works of structural stabilisation;
- Works to improve the legibility of eroded inscriptions, such as cleaning, re-leading, regilding and limited re-cutting;
- Cleaning, where the surface build-up is damaging to the fabric or where there are so many surface deposits that the inscriptions are becoming illegible;
- Conservation works related to ‘hard’ landscaping, such as steps, walls and railings, which form an integral part of the memorial’s design.
- Condition surveys, in order to assess the extent of current damage and help establish appropriate restoration strategies, including fees for specialist contractors;
- Fees of a conservation accredited professional adviser.
- Reinstatement of lost elements which are important to recover the design integrity of the memorial and only when supported by historical evidence.
We cannot offer grants for work such as:
- General maintenance costs;
- Cleaning for purely cosmetic reasons;
- Reconstruction/restoration that is not based on firm historic evidence;
- Replacements in a style or material that is at odds with the war memorial’s original and/or existing design;
- New work, additions or alterations to the war memorial’s original and/or existing design and setting;
- Any works that may be considered to be damaging or detrimental to the memorial;
- Work carried out before a written grant offer has been made and accepted;
- Creation of new war memorials.
If you wish to apply for funding for a War Memorial in Scotland please contact the War Memorials Trust directly for an application form, guidance notes and further information:
War Memorials Trust
42a Buckingham Palace Road
Tel: 020 7834 0200 / 0300 123 0764
The War Memorials Trust also offer a grant scheme of their own which may be able to help with projects that don’t meet the above criteria.