The St Vigeans Museum, in Angus, holds one of the most important collections of Pictish carved stones. The museum was refurbished and reopened in 2009 in a project designed to enlarge the display area and make the collection more accessible to a wider audience, including children. Included in the collection is the Drosten Stone, which is among the great masterpieces of Pictish art.
Many of the St Vigeans stones were grave markers for Pictish lords and priests and standing on top of the church hill close to the monastery. Some were later used as material for building the medieval parish churches which succeeded the monastery. There has probably been a church on this site continuously for 1300 years.
The New St Vigeans Museum [pdf, 22kb]
The St Vigeans Stones FAQs [pdf, 25kb]
Conserving the Stones [pdf, 21kb]