Commemorating the First World War
Visits to Historic Scotland sites provide opportunities for students to reflect on their Battlefield experiences and put them into context by exploring buildings and objects to discover real Scottish stories. Visit our dedicated website Commemorating the First World War
for more information.
SCHOOL BATTLEFIELD VISITS
As part of the Scottish Government’s five year commemorative programme, secondary schools in Scotland are eligible to apply for a one off subsidy to participate in a battlefield visit to the Western Front or Gallipoli. The subsidy arrangements, which span six school years from 2013 until 2019, are intended to provide assistance with costs associated with a school battlefield visit and to support pupils to develop a deeper understanding of the causes and consequences of the First World War and its impact on people’s lives.
Who can apply?
Any Scottish secondary school can apply for a subsidy; however funding is limited and not guaranteed. Applications should meet the following criteria:
- The visit must be for a genuine educational purpose and booked in advance
- Priority will be given to schools in areas with high indicators of multiple deprivation in accordance with the Scottish Government’s Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation
- This scheme is intended to provide a one off subsidy payment to a school for a single battlefield visit. Applications for a second subsidy will not normally be accepted, however schools submitting subsequent applications will be held on a reserve list and an award will only be made if funding is available at the end of the financial year. This funding is not guaranteed.
- Applications for a subsidy should be made prior to the visit and all claims must be made within one month of the date of visiting.
Where can I go?
Any WWI Western Front or Gallipoli battlefield site.
When can I travel?
We would expect trips to take place during term time; however this is not an essential criteria.
How much can I claim?
- A maximum of £2000 per visit will be allocated under the subsidy. A one-off payment will be made directly to the school. It is a matter for the school to decide how the funding is distributed.
- A further subsidy may be available for remote schools who incur additional transportation costs.
How do I apply?
- Make a booking by contacting the site or organisation you will use to manage your visit
- Complete the subsidy application form and return it by hardcopy or email to email@example.com or by post to Historic Scotland Learning Services, Holyrood Park Education Centre, 1 Queens Drive, Edinburgh EH8 8HG or fax to 0131 652 8151
Download the WWI Battlefield school visits guidance and application form
As part of the WWI Commemorative programme, schools are encouraged to share their learning experiences. School visit details will be shared with Education Scotland, to facilitate the exchange of experience about the visit and its legacy. This may include work undertaken in advance and evidence of how the learning is disseminated in the school and wider community.