The browser you are using is out of date and is no longer supported. To view and use this site correctly, please update your browser to the latest version.

Panmure House

Panmure House, in Lochend Close, off the Canongate is a rare survival of a late seventeenth century town mansion.

It was listed Category A in 1970, and is within the Old Town Conservation Area and Old and New Towns of Edinburgh World Heritage Site.

It is a two storey stone L-shaped building with attic and basement storey.  Long occupied by the Earls of Panmure, the economist Adam Smith lodged there for a spell before his death in 1790.  In the 1830’s the house was truncated and altered, its garden grounds redeveloped for an Iron Foundry.   It somehow managed to survive the industrialisation, depopulation and redevelopment of the Old Town, and was identified as an important historic building worthy of retention by the City Architect EJ Macrae in 1945.   In 1957 it was restored as a club-house for the Canongate Boys Club and later passed to the Council who used it for educational purposes before they sold it, in 2008, to the current owners, Edinburgh Business School, part of Heriot Watt University.

As a Category A-listed building the application to add a three storey glazed atrium to the principal elevation of the building required listed building consent.   The City of Edinburgh Council approved consent against the advice of planning officers and on 13th August 2010 Historic Scotland informed the Council that Scottish Ministers had taken the decision to call in the case for their own determination. Following a Public Inquiry permission for the atrium was granted by the planning minister in July 2011.

In October 2012 the Edinburgh Business School submitted a revised scheme that removed the atrium entirely, with the building now being accessed through a reconstructed basement platt area with a new stair within the building.   We welcomed the revisions that echo our original advice to the Council in 2009, and cleared the applications back to the Council without comment.

Listed building consent (12/03850/LBC) and planning permission (12/03850/FUL) for the revised scheme have now been granted, and both drawings and reports for the new scheme can be viewed on the City of Edinburgh Council’s planning portal.

Related Documents

PDF icon Letter to EK:JN Architects 25 March 2009 [pdf, 85 kb]

PDF icon Letter to City of Edinburgh Council 21 August 2009 [pdf, 20 kb]

PDF icon Letter to City of Edinburgh Council 11 September 2009 [pdf, 84 kb]

PDF icon Letter to City of Edinburgh Council 13 August 2010 [pdf, 78 kb]

Urquhart Castle

Register for media email alerts

Keep up with the latest media releases from Historic Scotland.

Register for media alerts