The browser you are using is out of date and is no longer supported. To view and use this site correctly, please update your browser to the latest version.


Carved stone
Details of who to contact, local authority contacts and other useful organisations can be found in Carved Stones: Scottish Government Policy and Guidance.

For information about specific carved stones see RCAHMS or PASTMAP. For information about carved stones in general see Carved Stones Scotland. For generic advice on interpretation and presentation see Interpret Scotland.

How to get involved

There is much you can do to help, particularly in the recording of carved stones. You will probably be able to do this most effectively through membership of a national or local society.

Conservation of carved stones

If the conservation of particular carved stones interests you, or you want to report a problem, check first whether the stone is scheduled or listed (legally protected) by visiting PASTMAP.
If a carving is neither scheduled nor listed then your first contact for conservation advice is either your local archaeological service, local authority conservation officer or local museum.

How to report new discoveries

Report new discoveries to Treasure Trove.


If you have comments on the carved stones website, please email Olwyn Owen or telephone 0131 668 8658.