Historic Scotland is an executive agency of the Scottish Government tasked with looking after Scotland’s historic environment. We care for over 340 properties and sites throughout Scotland, and have 78 manned sites across the country where expert staff share their site knowledge with visitors every day.
The Chain Mail is our way of giving you a behind the scenes look into all the work that goes on at Historic Scotland – from organising events and interviewing historians to years of research and working with partner organisations.
From castles and palaces to brochs and cathedrals, here are some things you may not know about us:
- At the height of the busy summer season, we have approximately 1,300 people working with us all over Scotland.
- Skara Brae on Orkney was inhabited before the Egyptian pyramids were built, and flourished for centuries before construction began at Stonehenge!
- We organise over 1400 events each year, from Ranger guided walks to Spectacular Jousting.
- We look after Edinburgh Castle – the number one paid-for place to visit in the UK, outside of London!
- Every penny Historic Scotland earns is re-invested in Scotland’s historic environment.
- Dallas Dhu in the Speyside region is the only state-owned distillery in Scotland. We also look after a working military barracks in Fort George!
You can find out more about how Historic Scotland operates on our website, and we hope you’ll subscribe to the Chain Mail for pictures, stories, news and more.